Saturday, April 10, 2010

I tried to explain, again

From: Kalinca Copello [mailto:kalinca.copello@gmail.com]
Sent: 15 March 2010 04:32 PM
To: Vincent Vassen
Subject: Re: URGENT Complaint about AVIS Umhlanga

Dear Mr Vassen,

Before receiving your email, I got in contact with my insurance to report the same problem – obviously was their choice to use AVIS service, so I though they should be aware of the problems I had.

OUTsurance immediately contacted the liaison person, between them and AVIS – Vanessa. Vanessa called me and after I explained the same story – all over again - she ‘apologized’ and asked me to go to an AVIS shop in Durban Central and pay for the ‘scratch fix’ bill. After that, they would cancel my credit card charge in that same shop. I found, particularly, absurd that I have to first pay the bill, so AVIS can proceed with the cancelation of a charge that they shouldn’t have done in the first place.

The only reason I used my credit card for the first deposit, was because I was informed by Umlhanga that if I paid in cash, it would take up to 3 weeks to receive my deposit back. ‘By using a credit card, the cancelation of the deposit is instantaneous’. I think this is probably a very deceitful policy to get hold of people’s credit card, no? I believe that was exactly the case.

Anyway, after another long conversation with Vanessa on the phone, I told her I would go on Friday that AVIS shop, and pay my bill – not saying that I changed my mind and decided to agree with AVIS, I was just getting tired of these long phone calls which will take me anywhere. I know exactly what I will have to do to ‘get back’ to AVIS.

Vanessa told me that once I paid the bill, the shop would cancel the credit card right away, and I would leave with a receipt of the cancelation. Vanessa also told me that she would ask Umlhanga to leave my 750 Rand deposit at the same shop (OBS: Vanessa was surprised to hear that Umlhanga never offered to make a deposit into my account, they simple, at first, told me to go to Umlhanga to pick up my check).

On Friday around 3pm, I went to the AVIS shop in Durban central, on my rare free time. When I got there, for my surprise, the employees there had no idea what I was talking about, what was I supposed to pay, or even who to contact. I have to say though, that opposite to the treatment I received from Umlhanga, the people there were quite helpful and started to call everyone – from Umlhanga, to customer services and Vanessa.

They finally saw an envelope that Umlhanga dropped there without any explanation. The envelope contained my deposit of 750 Rands. After another hour wasted there, they told me that they could not cancel my credit card. Since it is an international credit card, it could only be done by the headquarters (should I say, another misinformation, or just another deceitful one…). Vanessa also repeated the same thing on the phone to them. Apparently, she didn’t know about the procedure.

While they were talking to Umlhanga, I was told that the amount deducted from my credit card was not 1.270 Rands as I was informed before, but they forgot to tell me about the VAT, so the total amount was 1.448.99 Rands. Should I ask: is this another AVIS policy? Mispronouncing things and numbers?

But there is more…

The system at AVIS Durban Central was not working, so I could not pay my bill and leave with a receipt. Conclusion, I wasn’t able to pay anything, and the bill on my credit card, was obviously, not cancelled.

Right now this case went beyond the excessive and fraudulent charge on my credit card. AVIS has been disrespectful and it seems that is leaving the matter to become worse than already is.

‘Looking forward to hearing back from customer service’

Sincerely,

Kalinca Copello

No comments:

Post a Comment