Saturday, April 10, 2010

How it started

From: Kalinca Copello
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 11:49:31 +0200
To:
Subject: URGENT Complaint about AVIS Umhlanga

To
AVIS Customer care

Dear Sirs,

I had recently used your service through my insurance company, OUTSURANCE (Police number: OT15781128). Through my insurance I have access to a ‘courtesy car’ while my car is being fixed, and on the 25th of February AVIS brought me a Toyota Corolla (AVIS contract: 153244431). This car was above the group I was eligible for according to my insurance. While explaining the contract, AVIS representative told me that in case a had a major accident, I would have to pay the excess for the insurance on the Corolla and a 450 RAND admin fee on top of that. In case a minor accident occurred to the car, this same representative told me, quote: “you would only have to pay for fixing the damage caused.”

On March 2nd, I received a call from AVIS saying I would have to go to Umhlanga (28 km. away from Durban) in order to exchange the Toyota Corolla for another car. This car was in the category covered by my insurance. The fact that I had to be in Umhlanga before 17h00 on a busy workday did not seem to be a problem to AVIS.

Once I arrived they informed me that the Corolla had some ‘minor’ scratches on the lower left corner of the front bumper. I am sure I did not cause any damage to the car. As it my responsibility, however, I was liable for payment. I was told they would inform me later as to the cost. The petrol deposit of R750.00 for the Corolla, according to them, was reimbursed to my credit card.

When I exchanged cars (AVIS contract: 153245072) I paid R750 cash deposit for the petrol in the second car. Furthermore, I explicitly told AVIS Umhlanga that once they informed me about the amount to be paid for fixing the Toyota Corolla, I would come to an AVIS shop and pay for it. This was a requirement of mine as I did not want, by any means, to use the credit card; the bill is paid in England and I have no means to transfer the money there.

On Thursday, 4th of March, my car was ready to be collected. An AVIS representative came to collect the rented car in the same location in which I was collecting my car. Once all was checked (and again I returned the car with a full tank) the representative told me that he didn’t have my deposit with him and I would receive it later. I asked for a receipt, and he told me that ‘his word was my receipt’.

On Friday afternoon, 7th of March, I received a call from AVIS. They informed me that they had to fix the minor scratch and that they would charge me R820.00 to do so - plus R450.00 admin fee. The total was R1 270.00. I was in the middle of a meeting and I told them that the admin fee was not supposed to be charged, as I had been told so previously. The fee also appeared excessive for a service that would not even take a half a day. I asked to speak with the Supervisor, Michele, who was not available. AVIS representative sent me a text of Michele’s cellphone number, but unfortunately I didn’t get through her although calling three times later that day.

Yesterday, Monday 8th of March, I called Michele to discuss the admin fee that they wanted to add to my bill. After a short conversation, during which I was simply informed that it was part of the contract (funnily enough, the same contract which they left me no copy of). I was also told that I should write to customer service. On the same phone call, I asked Michelle about my R750.00 deposit, and she said it was ready for me to collect in Umhlanga. I told her that she should rather keep the deposit and I would go to an AVIS shop to pay for the difference of the ‘scratch fix’. This was not before contesting this absurdity with AVIS customer service – when she informed me that they already charged my credit card last Friday.

I obviously do not have to remind you that charging a client’s credit card without his/her authorization is illegal as well as charging a client without presenting a bill.

I want this debit cancelled from my credit card immediately and demand that a bill of the damage is presented. In addition, the admin fee should be withdrawn.

If I do not hear back from AVIS in two days, I will pursue further legal action.

Sincerely,

Kalinca Copello
Visiting Researcher at the School of Development Studies, The University of KwaZulu-Natal
Mobile: +27 (0) 0763917538
Work phone: 031 260-2336
Kalinca.copello@gmail.com

Doctoral Candidate at SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research
University of Sussex
K.copello@sussex.ac.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment